Bloggers read blogs.
We write ’em, and we read ’em.
So how do you find other cool bloggers like yourself, and get them to notice you? There’s lots of ways to go about it, but in this post I’m going to cover two very simple, effective ways to get your name (and you blog) out there.
This is the core of these two strategies.
You’re going to get other bloggers to notice you by commenting on their blogs. Maybe you already know that commenting on other blogs can be a good source of traffic, but it takes work.
- You have to take the time to find good blogs to comment on
- You have to comment enough to become recognizable
- You don’t want to be seen as a spammer
I have a couple “Secret Weapons” I use to make this process much easier.
Which blogs Should you comment on?
The good thing is, you can comment on any type of blog and get noticed. The bad thing is, there’s a ridiculous number of blogs out there.
You want to find blogs that cover similar subjects to your own, because the people who read those blog are more likely to be interested in your blog. It also helps that you have some interest in the blog topic, because your comments are more likely to be genuine since you have a genuine interest in talking about x, y & z.
Ex: If you don’t knit, you probably shouldn’t put your commenting efforts into a blog for knitters.
Creating a perfect comment that gets noticed, again and again
If you leave a lot of comments on a blog that just say “cool post” you’re gonna come across as a spammer. Sorry.
Every now and then a one or two word comment is fine, but if you’re looking to get some traffic to your blog by commenting, it just won’t work.
Your comments should add to the conversation. Think about it as though you’re speaking to the author in person. Have an opinion to share, or ask them an additional question.
Tip: If there are a ton of comments and you’re afraid yours might get lost in the pile try replying to one of the top comments instead of creating your own. It puts your name in a noticeable spot, and gets the attention of another reader.
How to find awesome blogs
You could spend all day trying to find good blogs to drop a comment on, but you don’t have to!
Here are my secret weapons:
Bloglovin’ is a site that lets you follow other blogs, and Stumbleupon generates random sites, based on interest, for you to look at.
- Search for blogs you want to follow (preferably related to your blog’s topic)
- Check out their bloglovin’ stream to see how often they post (this ensures you don’t follow a dead blog)
- Follow at least 5
- Keep an eye on them (you can get notifications when they post something if you want) and go comment when they post something new
- Choose an interest to “stumble” that’s related to your blog
- If you’re interested in the article that pops up, go leave a quick comment
- Stumble again!
Tip: You could also follow the blog via e-mail to get a heads-up when something new is posted, which gives you a better chance of being one of the first to comment.
To be sure the blog’s author notices you:
- Share their post on your social media – tag them in it!
- Follow them
- @Them with a note about how much you enjoyed their post
- Edit your settings so you get a notification when they share something, and reshare/comment on it on social media.
- Repeat 3 or 4 times over a few days and chances are they’ll remember you
Let me know what you think!
What’s your experience connecting with other bloggers been like?